Tuesday, October 8, 2013

In search of the Perfect Sambhar Rice!


Almost seven months are past since that day I left,
There was no joy nor any sorrow either.
It was a ride to the southern lands that got me excited,
None there was in leaving the northern plains!

Then I wondered what lay there in the southern lands,
That I do not have in the north?
And then I wondered and it came to my probing mind,
What would it be like to have the perfect sambhar rice!

So I came here all excited one fine morning.
My friends greeted me with joy and fanfare.
And when all the excitement had settled down,
I quietly went out to the nearest inn,
And ordered the Sambhar rice.

Bingo, it was what I had never imagined,
That perfect sambhar rice served on the banana leaf,
Half full with rice and the other with the sambhar,
Full of radish, carrot and green,
The sambhar looked like nothing I had at any northern inn!

And so I thought what a place this is,
I will live like a king and eat like a queen!
But as days passed by, the things dint change.
The sambhar remained the same,
The rice and the banana leaf dint change!

So I went out one day looking for a change,
But O dear, what a change it was,
The roti was dreadful, the curry worst of all!

So I thought to move away to a place better they say,
It was called Bengaluru at some distance from the bay.
Again my friends greeted me with fanfare,
And threw a party upon my stay!

I swear to the almighty, it was the best day of my tragic foray,
The promise of sambhar rice had brought with it all but dismay!

The change was now not constant,
As it came in a different costume every day.
The sambhar may have remained the same,
But it all changed for me that fine day!


No comments:

Post a Comment