Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tourist in my own backyard

It was about a year that took me to revisit Delhi this August. And certainly it was an august reception. Like a good omen, I brought to Delhi its symphony. The moment I reached home, it started drizzling and the view of K.G. Marg from atop the apartment was serene & misty. Surrounded by some of the most regal structures of the national capital, the site was panoramic. I couldn’t have asked for a better ‘setting’ for what I thought would be my final ‘stunt’. Delhi had improved a lot over my short absence. I wonder if it wanted to screen a better imprint over me this time. But certainly it looked more colorful with the rain washed boulevards and shiny new buses. I began my joy ride from a very happening place in west Delhi. And like ever before it radiated the same happy feel reminiscent of the resplendent city; an amalgam of old and new. My phone, like always couldn’t bear the emotional outburst and left me in solitude. But I was not alone there. I was joined by a very sweet fella and later on by a charming lady who maintained the traditional Indian custom of reaching late. But anyway, that “late latiffi” allowed me the luxury to revisit the corridors of the District center along with my overly enthusiastic friend. Later on we had a dinner of sorts as the doctor ordered. But certainly the ‘tete-a-tete’ was grossly satisfying n amusing, quite unlike the food and until it was too late I decided to rush back home. The next few days passed by tastefully savoring delicacies from the kitchen! The overly spicy spaghetti being one of them. Then came 9th August, and I was going to have one of my most boring n monotonous birthdays ever! I was forced to spend it at the Army base hospital from early in the morning to twilight, waiting for the final call. Hopefully, I had a book with me and time passed by rather easily. Some of the candidates had come with a whole convoy of fathers, grandfathers, brothers and god knows who else. I am afraid, that was not desired and certainly I didn’t appreciate it either. No matter you fail or pass but for me it always has to be you leading from the front! But anyways that’s how it goes and success stories are written! Now let me turn the gear to 11th August. August as the name suggests is a very august month. I call it the month of celebrations. It was my cousin sis’s birthday and she was really happy to have me around that day. She had her birthday bash in the evening & thereafter we had a quite Japanese dinner at a restaurant in South Delhi. I spent the next two days there and left on Rakhi. My days in Delhi were numbered now and the bulk of the job was still left to be done. It was again the birthday of a dear friend and I will not forget the ‘Carlsberg incident’. Neither will I forget the tender chicken ‘Afghani’. I must admit that this visit was very satisfying to me in spite of the ‘big failure’ as for the 1st time I really felt free, being in Delhi. However, I couldn’t see a few friends who took it to their heart as if we were not going to meet ever again! Then came our independence day and as always there was curfew all around except on the television sets where there was euphoria & hope of an approaching storm in the name of “Anna”! In the evening when the ‘Central curfew’ was lifted, I made a visit to my cousin’s place at the DLF City. It was like being in some exotic world class township. At night the place resembled New York! Nevertheless I had to leave, for the next day was the day of my departure. From the hindsight, Delhi felt like an alien town although beautiful & full of life. I felt like a tourist in my own backyard. The reasons, I cannot explain. The effects, I cannot predict! But I felt happier, greener and more passionate. There was no sense of urgency but a quest to discover. And I wonder if it was a mere plastic impression or a view from an incisioned eye coz as my train zoomed ahead the symphony withered away and the hot sun was menacingly dancing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment